Saturday, August 13, 2011

SN 22.089 Khemaka Sutta: The Khemaka Discourse

SN 22.089 Khemaka Sutta: The Khemaka Discourse
Translator:  Piya Tansutta text
Read by frank_k,  22min 11s  17.7 MB Download
recorded on june 2011 licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0 , sutta text ©2003 Piya Tan
backup copy at archive.org-sn  flac:55.2 MB , errors

                         excerpt from 14m:30s (the 2 similes) 7min 38s  7 MB

 Remarkable Sutta. 60 disciples became Arahants at the end of the discourse.
Excerpt from Piya Tan's translation sutta text :  
Avuso, it is just like the scent of a blue lotus, a red-white lotus, or a white lotus. Would one be
speaking rightly if one were to say, "The scent belongs to the petals,‟ or "The scent belongs to the stalk,‟

or "The scent belongs to the pistils‟  ?”
      “No, avuso.”
      “And, how, avuso, should one answer rightly?”
      “Avuso, one should answer rightly thus: "The scent belongs to the flower.‟”
 “Yes, avuso, 
I do not say "I am‟ form,                    nor do I say "I am‟ apart from form.
I do not say "I am‟ feelings,              nor do I say "I am‟ apart from feelings.
I do not say "I am‟ perception,         nor do I say "I am‟ apart from perception.
I do not say "I am‟ formations,         nor do I say "I am‟ apart from formations.
I do not say "I am‟ consciousness,  nor do I say "I am‟ apart from consciousness.
      However, avuso, although the notion "I am‟ in regards to the five aggregates of clinging has come to
me, I do not regard any of them as "This I am.‟
      Avuso, even though a noble disciple has abandoned the five lower fetters,
 yet in regards to the
five aggregates of clinging, there still lingers in him a residual
 conceit "I am,‟ a desire "I am,‟ a latent
tendency "I am‟ that has not yet been uprooted.


AudTip.org - Listen to the Buddha at Audio Tipitaka


No comments:

Post a Comment